Diabetes occurs when the level of sugar concentration in blood increases. Insulin is a hormone that is produced in the pancreas and the glucose in the blood is transferred from blood to the liver, muscles and fat cells. In type 1 diabetes, the body loses its ability to produce insulin and in type 2 diabetes the body becomes defiant to insulin. During pregnancy period the mother can get diabetes which is short term and called as ‘Gestational diabetes’.
At this fast growing world, many people found to have diabetes and the frequency is increasing too. Many of them are in quest to cure diabetes in natural way and they give priority for Ayurveda. Diabetes is referred as ‘Prameha’ in Ayurveda.
What causes diabetes?
There are about 20 forms of diabetes in Ayurveda and diabetes is mainly of Kapha dosha.
- Intake of foods that increase Kapha dosha such as rice, potato, and fats.
- Lack of physical activities
- Mental Stress and strain
- Too much of sleeping, etc
- Frequent urination and excess urine
- Burning sensation on palms and soles
- Crave for food
- Feeling thirsty
- Craving for sweets
- Loss in weight
- Unclear vision
- Feeling tired
- Recurrent skin infections
- Wounds that heals over a period of time
How it can be controlled in Natural ways?
- Diet is most important in keeping sugar levels under control. Consuming less sugar products with proper intervals between each meal should be maintained. Diets that increase the kapha dosha such as rice, potatoes, sugars, fats should be excluded. Intake of alcohol must be stopped.
- Regular physical activities make you to feel active and diabetes at par. Yogasanas are best, forward bending asanas are more useful.
- Smoking should be avoided
- Sleeping at the day time must be restricted
Home remedies to manage diabetes:
- Bitter gourds:
Take 4-5 bitter gourds and remove its skin as well as the seeds. Make them into a fine paste and filter the juice. You can have the juice in empty stomach daily.
- Cinnamon powder:
Take about one liter of water and make it boil for about 20 mins on a low simmer. Then add three teaspoons of cinnamon powder and boil for few minutes. Strain the water and have the entire thing in the morning daily.
- Fenugreek seeds:
Take four table spoons of fenugreek seeds and soak them in the water of about 250ml.Mash them and filter the water and have it daily for about two months.
- You can have 8-10 black berries daily.