Tummy tuck surgery clinically known as ‘’Abdominoplasty’’ is the removal of excess fat, loose skin and restoring the weakened and separated muscles in the abdomen to create a more firm, smooth and youthful profile. Though tummy tuck removes the excess fat and loose tissue completely, one should consider it as a last resort if diet and exercise alone are not sufficient in removing the stubborn excess fat. Thus it should not be considered as an alternative to weight loss.
Both men and women can go for tummy tuck surgery if there are no other major health complications. Most commonly it is women who go for tummy tuck post pregnancy for tightening their abdominal muscles and for reducing loose tissue around midsection of the body.
The other reasons responsible for making abdomen loose and sagging which can make you opt for tummy tuck are:
- Extreme weight loss causing sagging of skin.
- Medical problems (Patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery).
Women who are planning pregnancy as the restored abdominal muscles during surgery can get separated and loose during surgery.
- Should not be considered as a substitute to weight loss.
- People having serious medical conditions.
- Psychological pressure by others for undergoing surgery.
Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgery Procedure:
- In traditional tummy tuck procedure usually involves incision from one hipbone to another and also involves re positioning of the navel to ensure more natural and aesthetic results. Traditional abdominoplasty can be combined with abdominal liposuction for better results.
- Partial abdominoplasty is done only for those who have fat and loose tissue below the navel. It requires only a single small incision below the navel and doesn’t involve re-positioning of navel. Being a small procedure it offers rapid recovery and fewer complications.
- Endoscopic abdominoplasty: Abdominoplasty can also be performed via endoscopes. But it is indicated only for those who have little abdominal fat and very less loose tissue.
- Circumferential abdominoplasty is indicated in patients who have undergone Gastric bypass surgery.
Recovery and Post-Surgical Care:
- Recovery time is usually two to three weeks and may extend to six weeks in case of extensive procedure.
- During this period person is advised to take proper rest, take healthy andbalanced diet and plenty of water as constipation is the most common problem that can occur post-operatively.
- Medications prescribed by doctor to reduce the risk of infection (antibiotics) and any abdominal discomfort should be taken regularly.
- Exercises involving the abdomen should be avoided for a minimum of three months.
- Support garment should be worn for 6-8 weeks post surgery.
- Even after the best efforts of the surgeon, scarring is inevitable. To minimize the scarring sun exposure should be limited. Silicone sheets, silicone ointments and petroleum jelly are also proved to be effective.
- Smoking should be completely stopped for minimum of two weeks post surgery as it may delay healing drastically.
Complications: Though tummy tuck surgery may have few complications it is considered to be pretty safe. Complication rate is higher for smokers, diabetics, people having problems with blood circulation, heart , lung and liver disease and people who undergo multiple procedures altogether. Most common complications are:
- Delayed healing
- Blood clots
- Interim side effects which includes abdominal swelling, pain and bruising.
In today’s era India is gaining immense popularity in the field of Medical Tourism. And many people are opting India for their cosmetic surgeries – tummy tuck being the most common of them. The reason for more and more people turning towards India for tummy tuck in India is it’s highly cost effective, raising trust on Indian surgeons, their hospitality and ease of communication.
Tummy tuck cost in India is almost half the cost of similar surgery in western countries. Various hospitals in India also provide help and guidance in paper formalities e.g. arranging visas, accommodation, fixing appointments and ensure utmost care during and after surgery which makes India the best place for plastic surgery.