Liver is one of the most vital organs in the body that is part of the digestive system. The organ that is located at the right side of the abdomen, right below the diaphragm is key in ensuring a seamless digestive functions.
It is responsible to produce the essential amino acids, synthesizing bile, detoxification of blood, helping the digestive system in avoiding the shortage of important nutrients. Complex in structure, the organ ensure many key functions are carried out in the digestive system.
Liver is prone to get various diseases and infections based on the lifestyle and habits. Few liver diseases could be treated with the help of medication or surgery but there are various diseases that need liver transplant when the medications and treatment are failed to heal.
In most cases, liver failure is what leads to liver transplantation. It is the case in which the liver gets damaged beyond the scope of any repair or cure. The liver in this condition stops function causing fatal consequences. Except the acute liver failure, all other liver failure conditions occur over a period of time.
Reasons for Liver Transplantation
- Hepatitis – Hepatitis viral infections such as A, B and C can damage the liver if not treated at the right time and lead to liver infection.
- Liver Cirrhosis – A condition in which severe scarring of the liver occurs due to toxins.
- Alcoholism – Excessive consumption of alcohol on a regular basis for a long time.
- Iron Overload – This is a condition known as Hemochromatosis is a genetic disorder that damages the liver upon iron consumption.
Symptoms of Liver Failure
- Increased levels of triglycerides and LDL, fat lumps under the skin, fat deposit in organs and fatty liver.
- Indigestion problems, gall bladder diseases, bloating in the abdomen, vomiting and nausea sensation.
- Yellow eyes, discolored toungue, bad breathe, skin rashes and brown blemishes on the skin.
- Unstable blood sugar levels, headaches, increased body heat, depression and fatigue are the other symptoms.
- Scars in the liver due to the fat deposition in the liver cells causing inflammation.
Liver transplant is a procedure conducted to replace the damaged part of the liver or the complete liver. The liver it derived from the donor and the damaged liver is replaced with it. Liver transplant is a major surgery that requires meticulous care even from the pre-operation stage to post-operation. The decision of liver transplantation is called as the last option of treatment when the other treatment methods are proven to be failed.
The liver transplantation in India has improved in terms of medical expertise and technological advancements.
How to Choose the Transplant Center?
- Learn about the total number of transplants the hospital conducts as it could be taken as indication of the success rate of the hospital.
- Do some background check to understand the qualification and experience of the liver transplant specialist.
- Make sure the hospital employs the advanced equipment as they play a key role in improving the quality of the outcome.
- Consider the facilities and services provided by the transplant center post the transplantation.
- If you have an insurance plan, learn about the compatibility of it with the hospital insurance policies.
There are various medical tourism companies in India that provide complete services that are involved in a medical tourism. If you are a foreign or resident individual in look out for the best liver transplant center in India, reach out to these companies as they have the database of all transplant centers and could help you in finding the suitable transplant center.